Thursday, August 16, 2012

An Invitation to Stay While


                                              I saw the strangest thing today
                                                 While walking all alone.
                                               A garden for the dead it was,
                                                Though slightly overgrown.
                                          It welcomed me with a friendly warmth
                                                 Like none I had back home.
                                                But once inside I felt a chill
                                                    Seep down into my bone.
                                               The tea set out on a silver tray
                                                  Had long ago grown cold.
                                         Ants covered thick the sour grapes
                                                     Even the air was old.
                                            For years and years this party sat
                                                         Waiting for a jig.
                                          But the dancers tired of it all so quick,
                                               Their sorrow grown too big.
                                           I felt this place was not without
                                                 Its share of souls alive.
                                         But a body with both flesh and blood
                                             In this place could not survive.
                                         With shock and wonder I understood
                                               They wanted me to stay.
                                            It took a while to think it through
                                                  Before I went my way.
                                             Whether I was right or wrong
                                              To leave the way I came
                                            I know if I should change my mind
                                               The place will be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment