Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Ghost Town


I’ve been rocking back and forth all night
In a chair of rope and vine.
My ear strains to catch an echoed sound
Of a song played in my mind.
Voices murmur eerily
From my mirrored parlor door.
I have grown so used to them
I pay mind to them no more.
The only movement left in town
Is the softest summer breeze.
The magnolias swaying to that old tune,
They put my mind at ease.
The problem is the old won’t go
So the new can move on in.
They may have all passed long ago
But they built this town of sin.
They’ll be damned if death with stop them
And I guess I feel the same.
My body’s weak but my soul is not
I’ll beat the devil at his game.
He’d love to have us all, we know
But I’ll be as strong as they.
And when I die I’ll stay right here
Until my judgment day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment