Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Hippie Lover's Prayer


Your ghost won’t let me go these days
And it has me thinking clear
Of things I once gave up to time,
Things that you held dear.
The youth we praised, the love we shared
I never would have guessed
The day would come when you would go
And I’d be like the rest.
Since the night you left my trembling arms
I gave up dreams for gold.
I was young enough to be naïve
So those precious years I sold.
They pulsed with you and all you were,
All you meant to me.
Because you weren’t the one left behind
You’ve no right to disagree.
The ideas overdosed your mind, I think
They helped to knock you dead.
I feared so much I’d end the same
So I gave it up instead.
Don’t shake your head like you have a right!
You never had to live!
Those years that made you weary, worn
I’ve had thirty more to give.
Perhaps in that dream where we once stayed
I have longed to go.
But reality wouldn’t give me up
To the world I used to know.
Now my hair is white, my skin is broke
My time is drawing near.
And all I ask of you, old love
Is that you swear I need not fear.
Promise heaven is a ‘Frisco day
And Janis will sing her song.
I want to know that when I pass
With you I’ll go along.


No comments:

Post a Comment