Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Enchanted Box



The enchanted box you gave to me
With our favorite tune inside
I took it out last night, my love
To see what it might hide.
Leave it to a sorcerer
Such as you were then
To create a thing of memories
So I could go again.
There they were, once thought lost,
The days we threw away.
Laughing on the beach at night,
Making love all day.
You must have known when you left it here
Someday it would make me weep.
You can’t know how it felt to see us young
This close to my last sleep.
But also so much like you were
You forgot one part.
I couldn’t join the things you’d saved
So I just left my heart.
With a key made up of jewels and rust
I unlocked that dusty door.
The beat was strong when I took it out
I don’t need it anymore.
Maybe someday this box will find
Someone who needs it too.
They’ll see us in youth and they’ll find my heart,
They’ll think of me and you.
Until then it will sit in darkness on a shelf,
That precious soul-filled thing,
And my ghost will guard it next to yours
Till once more that box can sing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment