Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Lonely Soul to Take




The ghosts that travel these southern streets,
The old as well as new,
Have gathered to haunt this ancient house
What am I to do?
I can hear them walk along my halls
They took my mirrors down.
But one promised me just last night
That death doesn’t make a sound.
I don’t know why they come to me
But each one has its needs.
Some search in vain for lovers lost
Others rebel against misdeeds.
All I can do is let them in
And open up my heart.
But none will speak of what they’ve seen
Or why they can’t depart.
It makes me wonder if it’s a trick
To lure me to the grave.
Red brick dust and a bible worn
Are all I have to save.
So if the midnight comes and swallows me
I’ll know this was my fate.
I’ll join with those who took my home
In the perils we create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment