Monday, September 17, 2012

The Trouble with Society


I am sick of people telling me
How I should live my life.
Home of the free, land of the brave,
But it’s all full of strife.
If you love a boy and you’re a boy
Then you can’t say I do.
If you take a drag outside your walls
Your whole damned life is through.
If you say this while they’re thinking that
Your mind they will destroy.
You are crucified and left alone
If you won’t be their toy.
Banish all abortions,
Snap your seatbelt tight.
And no one has said a fucking thing?
I tell you, it’s not right!
I’m sick of war and needless death
All the reasons why
We’re sending kids to foreign lands
Just to watch them die.
If this is our America
Built on blood and tears
Then Christ, I’d hate to see it
In another forty years.

*I wrote this when I was nineteen years old in response to some stuff that was rejected and demanded as a result of a local election (that was in '06) and I find it sad that many of these things are still true today. I remember writing it thinking things would have to get better...

No comments:

Post a Comment