Monday, September 17, 2012

8-11-09


                                             


Death knocked upon my door again,
He came to call last night.
We sat on the porch to have a chat
And watch the pink twilight.
“Your number’s up,” he said to me;
“But I’ve come to make a deal.
Pick another to take your place
And your life I will not steal.”
I shook my head and smiled bright.
“We’ve been through this before.
If you say that it’s my time to go
I need to hear no more.”
“Ah, but think of those who love you!”
He replied with innocence.
“How will they feel to visit you
Behind a fortress fence?”
I closed my eyes and took a breath,
He knew just where to aim.
“You took them all, you know you did
That much is still the same.
I would not choose another soul
With people who will mourn.
When I’ve nothing left to hold me here
Besides your hateful scorn.”
Holding up a bony finger
As if to prove a point
I listened for his next advance
And rubbed my achy joint.
“But it’s pain I’ve brought this time around.
Your end will not be nice.
You’ll suffer so and die alone
Are you sure you won’t think twice?”
By now the moon was rising
And I watched the darkened sky
As I thought of those, both friend and foe
That I could send to die.
“I do not fear the pain you’ll bring
I’ve hurt like hell for years.
We all die alone no matter what
I’ll not shed any tears.”
He knew he had been beaten,
He had no chips to throw.
This was a game we played so much,
He knew how it would go.
“No one to mourn, no mind my scorn
And you do not fear my pain.
It seems that life has left you here
To rot or go insane.
So I’ll go away and leave you be
But I’ll be back next fall.
You’ve won this round and the one before
But you cannot win them all.”
I watched him go and wondered how
A man with so much power
Could miss so much in all we said
In that brief and wasted hour.
It wasn’t life that left me there
In my shack by river’s end.
It was Death himself who walked away
When I needed most a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment